Sunday, December 27, 2009

Red nail polish and sweat pants

I have had such a great time with my family this Christmas but I must tell you it has been eventful. Christmas night we were all sitting around talking about the great gifts we received and how much fun we had, laughing and enjoying the evening. All of a sudden we smell the strong aroma of nail polish and panic overwhelmed us. My cousin's daughter is two years old and they have white carpet in the downstairs where the smell was coming from,knowing that the combination of a two year old and nail polish can be disaster we both jump up and run down stairs. My cousin and I see in the bathroom the very dark red nail polish on the counter with no top and begin a search and rescue for the top of that red nail polish. We begin yelling for the Lacy, the baby and going from room to room trying to find the smell and hopefully avert trouble. When we find the source of the smell my ten year old daughter with a look similar to that of a deer in headlights is sitting in one spot paralized by what I know now was fear. Her shoulders began to shake and the tears got bigger and bigger but still she said nothing. I pushed away the blanket covering the floor and to my horror discovered a large stain the size of a frisbie of red nail polish on white carpet. My cousin and his wife followed us into the room and also saw this large stain they have been through this before and like EMT's at the scene of an emergency they began working on the stain with a pink goo that came out of a white tub. My cousin went to get his carpet cleaner and began to mix up a potent and toxic mix to put on the stain. Together we all worked on this terrible stain.I hoped it would come out and that our Christmas present to his wife and family wouldn't have to be white carpet. Miracle beyond all miracles the stain came out of the carpet. Although my daughter was trying to help I know the fear of what would happen next and whether the stain came out made it hard for her to think beyond the moment. I tried really hard not to lose my mind but the embarrassment and fear of damage made it difficult. We decided, once the stain was out to give everyone time to calm down, and figure out what to do next. Punishment is my least favorite issue in parenting and in life for that matter.

I am glad the lesson my daughter will learn wasn't expensive. No lives lost, no real damage done and honestly a mistake anyone I know including myself might make. But I did feel that shame and fear make us do some interesting things in our lives. My daughter covered up something we were all bound to find and as I reflected on the incident I think -I hide things I think no one will know about and wonder what do you hide?

Most women lie about their weight. It's a fact, well known fact and when I started the TFT program I found that some people didn't want to take the pictures you need to take when starting the program-the most difficult one being the one when you are standing on the scale. The picture is defining you know where you are and you have two choices(maybe more but these are my favorites) hide it or deal with it. I couldn't help but think of the things that went through my daughter's head before the polish was discovered- " I can hide it, no one will know." "maybe if I blame it on some one else I will get away with it." or "what do I do now? I am in big trouble?" when it comes to our weight I think we may have all these emotions. After this week of eating off plan all I could think about is wearing sweat pants all the time. If I didn't have to get into my jeans I didn't have to face the music. I did get on the scale and I realized all that muscle building afforded me a little more wiggle room but I am back on task. And yes, I am wearing my jeans.

Bad news doesn't get better with time. Facing the music or the truth is the first step to making progress and changing your life. If you think you are doing great and don't need to lose weight you may not be there yet. Be honest with yourself and with the ones you love and trust. If you hide things it gets harder. Use this new year to be open and honest, starting on the right foot and learning more about yourself through honesty.

2 comments: