Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Gift to yourself

I always get the question " what should I do during the holiday's to lose weight?" My answer is always the same"Go to sleep and wake up New Years day". It is really hard to lose weight during the holidays and the three common reasons are- 1)stress-trying to do too much over the holidays, taking no time to worry about yourself,eating on the run and partying more than usual. 2) eating foods you don't normally eat and finding you like them and eating more. 3) not having a regular routine and not getting to the gym like usual. So what should you work on during the holiday's to succeed at not gaining? I know it's hard, this year I came to Seattle to see family I haven't seen in five years and I am staying with my cousins. They have a busy active family and there are ten of us in one home. I find the challenge refreshing and I have had a great time working through this process. My cousin Lisa says she going to work on losing weight this year so my first defense is to be a great example. Being a good example helps me stay focused. I haven' t been excellent but for the most part I stick to the food I usually eat (oatmeal every morning) and try to help around the house to stay busy instead of eat. I also found she has a treadmill in her garage set up in front of a t.v. and I can do intervals workouts which take 30mins and I am not being rude going out there for a quick 30min workout. So first line of defense is make it look as normal as possible I am sure I am not going to do everything right -my mother brought homemade buckeye (peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate) - but thank God my mom is staying with my aunt!!! I know I won't be able to work out like normal so I decided to try the local hot yoga studio I get 10 classes for $10 and a month to use it. I am excited about doing something different and I have a chance to de-stress with yoga. (given the holiday's this may be the best call yet) Many businesses are looking for business given the new year and they are offering deals- take advantage of them. Check out a boxing studio or go belly dancing or try salsa. Try something you haven't done before - you can sometime rally family for a new workout and get in your time too. Another suggestion is raiding the shelves of family. Everyone has exercise videos find out what they have that you don't have and try it. Who knows could be fun? Second line of defense if sounds like exercise and feels like exercise - do it The Asheville area just got hammered with snow so many of my friends were shoveling snow for two days yes, that counts. Being with family can be stressful spend some time journaling (trainerforce clients have a place to journal) or write a letter to yourself for how next year will be for you, goals, dreams. Take hot baths (if you have room to or time) get lots of sleep. Many people discount these things are not "strenuous" enough try to get some peace and quiet can often be an act of God. Relaxing has an amazing influence on hunger hormones. Think about it stress calls you to eat and eat bad- relaxing doesn't. Spend time making lists of goals, things you want to do. Dream- make a dream board. Sing carols with family, take care of your neighbor and give back. It's time to enjoy life a little and lighten up on the negative talk and behavior. Third line of defense be a gift to yourself and your family be feeling good. I plan to hit the hot yoga studio I can't wait to tell you how it goes.

Have a happy holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment