Thursday, October 27, 2011

Almost Impossible

Has someone ever told you this? Which word did you focus on the "almost" or the "impossible"?
 Having a walk with a great client we talked about the words her doctor used when talking to her about losing weight-" due to your medical condition- it will be almost impossible to lose weight" she said for a while she didn't try and then when she wanted to try she didn't have the confidence to do it. Today she has lost over 30 lbs and looks completely different. She feels good about herself and is making very important life changes so it will be forever.  Which word have you picked to focus on? I like to work from the almost and never from impossible!!!

Here's more from her story:
As I saw the scales slowly inch up and up until I had topped out at 218lbs, I realized that I had begun to isolate, withdraw from church and friends, and make all kinds of excuses on why I could not lose weight. All it took was for the Dr to say it would be "almost" impossible for me to lose weight because of the meds I was on and type 2 diabetes. I completely missed the word "almost". I had grown out of all my clothes. I could wear my husbands sweats, and most days stayed in lounge clothes because I couldn't fit in my jeans any more. I would offer to keep the grandchildren overnight on the weekends so I would have an excuse not to go to church and face people that had watched me get bigger. All of my Sunday clothes were tight! I felt ugly and sloppy. I could not look at myself in the mirror because of how fat my face looked. I couldn't get enough bangs to hide my face! My blood sugar was out of control because I was cycling with sweets and carbs. I would not undress in front of my husband because in my mind I knew I was not a pretty site, even tho he had NEVER said that. I looked at myself in the mirror that was on the closet door, and saw all the dimples and bulges in my legs and thighs, and I just kept eating the wrong foods! My diabetic Dr wrote a note after one of our office visits and said, "If Mrs Allen would only eat right, she could cure her diabetes". When I read this, it was like a stab in my gut because it was as if he had given up on me, but I had given up on myself. I thought I was ready to commit to a healthy way of eating, but at the first stressful situation, I would relapse into old habits. I was desperate in February because I had lost all hope of ever losing weight. My liver Dr  had said that if I don't lose the weight I will have to have a liver transplant. The feelings of guilt were taking over that I was failing my family and friends and myself by not being committed. A friend told me about The Telephone Fitness Trainer and how she had helped him. I had started feeling that I could not do it by myself any longer and reached out for help. I wondered if she could actually help me but went ahead, took a deep breath and wrote that e-mail with all my

"stuff" going on and I was so thankful when I saw those words "Call Me!"!! The next 8 months have changed and saved my life! Thank you for having me look back at where I have come from becasue I never want to go back to that feeling of hopeless and helplessness, isolating and withdrawn and miserably unhappy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment