Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Adam the taxi driver

I was in charge of planning the trip to Israel. My plan was travel to Israel -- I am not a great planner so schedule  this tour schedule that tour, is usually not my style. I like to get there and then plan, which makes my type A husband a bit nervous. I have always has great traveling mercies and plans make it feel less like a vacation and more like work. Our apartment I found on Craigslist and turned out to be $1500 less than the hotel we had planned to stay at and is in a great part of Jerusalem. We have a washer and dyer , kitchen for cooking and  two bedrooms and two bathrooms - I made a good choice there. Today, our first day out was loosely planned to head to the western wall and the old city of David. While walking toward the old city we were stopped by a taxi driver - hoping we would need a ride. He asked if we needed a taxi- we told him no and he asked why we weren't taking the short cut ? We of course did not know he short cut and he offered to drive is there for $12. We agreed and he began a full day of touring Israel with Adam the taxi driver . A messianic Jew ( a born again Jew ) he knew all the sites we would want to see and told us how to see this amazing city. He began by saying he planned to open our hearts and not just our eyes -- what an amazing day-
Today we saw- The Mount ofOlives , The Via Delarosa , the garden of Gethsemne. Bethlehem , Jericho , the tree where Zaccheus was called down out of the tree - went to the Jordan river and put my foot in the very spot where Christ was baptized. I rode a camel and was told I was worth 100 camels by the beduion farmer. We saw some amazing things today and the time magnificent.
Adam - took us all these places told the best way to see things when we would be on our own and was great with the kids. Helped us find deals and made sure we had the best tour ever - and yes he charged us but it was worth every dime. My favorite today was Jericho - I had no idea it was considered an oasis in the desert and the desert is crazy dry humid and desolate but here sits Jericho -- best lemons, figs, pomegranate  and date farms around - lowest place of land on earth (400 meters below sea level) and considered a land of miracles due to the agricultural prosperity. We got our Jericho today richly blessed by a man who found us. His comment that really gave me something to think about - we asked Adam what he thought about (something not sure what) and he responded "I don't think I pray" he felt thinking was not as important as praying because one has more power than the other. I have agree -- need to do less thinking more praying after all that's how we found Adam, a simple prayer.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome how God ordained that trip from your residence to the tour with a Christian Jew! Sounds like an amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete