Monday, September 28, 2009

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs

I went with my kids on sat to see this movie. I heard from several friends it was worth seeing and with the rain coming down, I decided to go and see it.
It was very cute and for me (as with many things) I had a bit more meaning than I actually thought it might. Without giving away the whole movie a young boy who decided he wanted to be a great inventor finally creates a machine that makes food rain down from the clouds. The town loves the machine and as a result becomes very dependant on the food. When the machine begins to go awry and giant BLT’s pierce the Eiffel tower and fortune cookies rain down on the great wall of china, the towns people panic. As Mount Leftover’s levy begins to break the town is in trouble and the young inventor is facing a very huge dilemma of destroying the very invention which took him to local fame.
It’s hard to imagine what you can get out of this premise but I must say it is very telling of how our society values food. In the movie the mayor grows to a balloon size character having to get around on a scooter shouting “bigger is better”.
His very large body grows to an alarming size and his demeanor more and more greedy about the food and how much the tiny town needs to reach its max.

I know it’s a stretch but here it is? Are we sometimes worried there won’t be enough food? Is our emotional attachment a feeling of being left out when others eat things we can’t? Do we think it’s more important to have the immediate gratification then the joy of reaching our goals?

I know for me when I had to start really saying no to certain foods and drinks I felt cheated. I tried to make it about something else “I am in training and I can’t”
But sometimes it just didn’t work- and I had to change the way I think and honestly I had to get serious. I needed to figure out for me what would work and I had to be able to make it matter all the time and say no with out feeling left out. Now I know I have things I am trying to do so with A LOT of self talk I make it through most cupcakes crises and pizza meltdowns. I say things like “ If I eat that what kind of muscle would that make in my body?” “ If I continue to eat like that person, I will look like that person (and no offense) I am trying to look different and that requires a different type of food”. “ it only tastes good for a minute and then I am hungry again”

Have you figured out why you fail at eating right? Or do you beat yourself up for not doing the right thing?

Maybe this is a time where you have to make a decision to eat and exercise just because and now you have to.

It may be cloudy with a chance of meatballs in some places it’s sunny with a chance of cucumbers? How about where you live?
check out my website for a funny trailor that will help make it more clear how we view food:
http://www.thetelephonefitnesstrainer.com/go-lean-with-jolene.html

No comments:

Post a Comment